DESTINATIONS

Mountainous Nafpaktia:

s2-1024x520Just 40km from Nafpaktos the visitor is being left in the particularity of Mountainous Nafpaktia. Villages immersed in firs. Historically marked trails through the woods, rich flora with great variety in herbs and aromatic plants, rivers, waterfalls and lakes, what else can someone ask for? A landscape of unparalleled natural beauty that… just takes off when the snow falls, descends the rooftops and decorates the scene. Mountainous Nafpaktia is ideal for those who love alternative activities (rafting, mountain biking, hiking, climbing, 4×4 routes).

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Castle – town of Nafpaktos:

nafpaktia-tsousis-049

Nafpaktos is a historic castle-town. It was connected with the largest movements of Herakleidon (Dorian). The place where it meets two seas, the Dorian organized the shipyard, giving the name Nafpaktos (Nafs – pignymi). A big part of the old city is surrounded by two arms that start at the top of the hill and reach the sea, where they form the famous Venetian harbor like a horseshoe shape with two towers at its opening. Four lateral walls form from the top to the sea five friezes. The castle is open in the biggest part. At a short distance from the harbor we find the Tower Botsari. A building dated from the 15th century and now serves as a museum with artifacts from the Battle of Nafpaktos.

In 1571 was the Battle of Nafpaktos. This is the battle that took place in the Gulf of Patras port (Gulf of Lepanto), next to Echinades Islands (then Kourtzolaroi); it was the most impressive phase of the war for the conquest of Cyprus (1570-1571). It caused great impression on contemporaries, but did not bring positive results for the winners. The great victory of the Christians against the Turks was a landmark for the history of Europe in conjunction with the celebration of the Virgin of Nafpaktos. In 1687 (July 24) was taken over again by the Venetians for 12 years. Finally with the Treaty of Karlowitz, Nafpaktos like the rest of Central Greece was given to Turks. This battle was a historic event because this intercepted for Europe the threatening Turkish naval power. With that name is known the great naval conflict held between the Ottoman navy and the combined navies of “Sacra Lega”, a Holy Alliance set up by the Spanish, the Pope, Venice and some Italian states on 7 October 1571. The foreign historians use the name Battle of Lepanto (Naval Battle of Lepanto), from the medieval name of the town.

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Bridge “Charilaos Trikoupis”:

bridge17102013The Rio-Antirio Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge, completed in 2004 between Rio and Antirio, connecting the Peloponnese and western mainland Greece.

It was manufactured by the French company Vinci. The length of the bridge is supported by four pillars, stands at 2,280 meters and together with the accesses reaches around 2,880 meters. The bridge was developed and completed despite the unfavorable environmental conditions, whilst the maximum foundation depth reaches 65 meters under sea level.

It is a cable-stayed bridge, the strength of which is impressive. Designed and manufactured to specifications to withstand an earthquake greater than that recorded on August 17, 1999 in Ismit Turkey, whose magnitude was 7.4 Richter Scale. It has also been calculated, that withstands any conflict tanker tonnage of 180,000 tones and a wind speed of 265 km / h, a speed which corresponds to Category 5 for a hurricane, the highest level in the Safir-Simpson Scale. Finally, the bridge is designed to absorb possible shifts between two piers, in any direction.

The bridge includes a pedestrian / cycling path whose use is toll exempt. On May 25 2007 at a special ceremony before the building of the Administration of the Junction, the Greek President Karolos Papoulias “baptized” this bridge “Bridge Charilaos Trikoupis”, and then proceeded to the unveiling of artwork in the form of Ch. Trikoupis.

The bridge Rio – Antirio “Charilaos Trikoupis” retains accessible a showroom, in the building next to Antirion toll station. Dozens of visitors, tourists or regular users of the Bridge pass its doors every day in order to see in the video wall the history of the construction of the Project, the impressive model, artistic photos, as well as the historical exhibition for public works of the time “Charilaos Trikoupis”, who gave his name to the Junction.

The area has a souvenir shop, free wireless Internet access (Wi-Fi), and as well computers for the public. Guided visits made by contacting the Customer Service Department of the Bridge on the telephone number 26340-39010 & 39011, having priority over non-scheduled.

Since the summer of 2015, a pilot program begins for the bridge, which extends the visits with tours in one of its pillars.

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Pilgrimage Tourism:

 ekklisias-1024x595

A number of historical monasteries await you to explore during your visit to Nafpaktia. In these monasteries, with centuries of history are kept priceless treasures, curios and relics of saints.

Monastery Panagia Ampelakiotissa – Founded in 1456 ac. Historic monastery located in a magical landscape of Kravara. It Keep priceless curios such as the picture of the Virgin Mary, the epitaph of Marioras (1735 ac.), the remarkable wooden temple (1874 ac.), silver reliquary (1470 ac.). Contact phone number: 26340

Monastery St. Augustine & Seraphim of Sarof (Trikorfo) – Just 18km from Nafpaktos we meet the imposing monastery in Trikorfo of Dorida. It is the only monastery in the world to be dedicated to the miraculous Great Russian Saint Seraphim of Sarof. It is famous for the largest bell in the world with its 400 gongs and 62 bells. Contact phone number: 2634044381

Monastery Varnakova – Going up to Mountainous Nafpaktia, we find the historic female monastery of Varnakova. Varnakova Monastery is one of the oldest monastic centers in Greece. It was founded in 1077 ac. by Saint Arsenius Vernikovitis. Contact phone number: 2634051030


Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Coastal destinations:

 monastiraki-f

The beaches of Nafpaktos (Gribovo, Psani) for many years are awarded with Blue Flags for the services they provide, but also for the quality of their waters. Alternatively, with base of Nafpaktos, in a few minutes you are in a number of beaches and picturesque seaside villages. In a short distance from Nafpaktos, we meet the first villages of Dorida (Monastiraki, Hiliadou, Skaloma, Sergoula) where you can enjoy your swimming but also your food. On the other side (of Aitoloakarnania) await the beaches of Antirio and Makyneia. About 20km after Nafpaktos we meet the seaside village Chania. There you can leave your car; you can get on board in a kaiki (often routes) and visit Trizonia. This island is habitable and is just 500m from the shore. It is beautiful; you can walk from end to end, and taste fresh fish in the taverns near the picturesque harbor. It is a day trip that will be unforgettable…


Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Varasova:

pol-spilaio-varasova6

In ancient times Varasova – a natural fort towards sea intruders – was used as a seaport of the ancient Caledonia. The Homeric city Chalkia or Halkis was built on a ridge over the harbor, west of Kato Vasiliki.

In the 9th-12th century ac. the steep Varasova attracted hermits, who founded a small ascetic community, a miniature of Athos.

The mountain of Varasova has been declared as a historic place with great natural beauty. The churches, monasteries and hermitages of the Byzantine era that were created on inaccessible slopes of Varasova today are all ruined. But the remaining figures show the strength of the monastic life in the mountains. The most important examples are:

West of Kato Vasiliki, a low hill near the village, southeast of Varasova, the ruins of Byzantine church were erected, which was dedicated to Saint Demetrius. The church was built on the 11th century and is of great architectural interest. Designed with a strong sense of balance and made with care and good taste, maintains until today, through the ruins the harmonious connection of lines, angles and arcs. Because of the imposing building and the large size seems to be intellectual and guiding center. In the south side of the steep Varasova at an altitude of 80 m. from the sea is open a spacious rock shelter cave inside which are saved ruins of Byzantine organized ascetic complex dedicated to Saint Nicholas.

The cave of St. Nicholas west of the village of Kato Vasiliki although it is in ruins, impresses with the organization that seems to posses and a fortified character. The fact that was saved a significant part of the temple and the tank is in a satisfactory condition, shows that the cave was abandoned too late. What makes it a unique monument, however, is the existence of a monk cell. It is about a small cave above the big one, in a height of 10 m., where  the monk climb up via a wooden staircase, and remained for some time in order to devote himself to prayer or writing an ascetic text. This particular monk cell this is the only one we have in Greece. Access to the cave is only from the sea. In the northeastern part of Varasova stands the hermitage of the Holy Fathers. The cave was painted with illustrations of 10th-11th ac., even if its long abandonment destroyed most coatings, it’s still of great iconographic interest. East of the village Perithori on the western slope of Varasova, in an area with tall trees and flowing waters is the ruined monastery of St. Peter. They are being saved ruins one-room church with a three-sided apse. From the mural, the monument is dated in the Late Byzantine period and is the only one of the monasteries of Varasova that rescues the walled precinct. In the col of Varasova and Southeastern from “Pigadi” are being saved ruins of the chapel of the Virgin Mary. Pigadi is located at an altitude of about 800 m. and in an oblong plateau is surrounded by rocky walls and is adorned by ancient oak trees. Caves – hermitages exist in many other areas of Varasova such as close to the villages Ano Vasiliki and Galatas and they are visible from afar.

The first climbs in Varasova were made in 1958 -59. Until then the hardcore climbers believed that “the climbing areas are in the mountains rather than in coastal areas that fit vacationers and tourists.”

Today Varasova has some of the most important and the most difficult climbing routes in our country. The emphasis now is given in overcoming great difficulties (sport climbing). New very difficult routes, equipped with boards, are being opened in the most improbable (not features) points.

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το

Κράτα το